One of the great things about posting on Saturdays is that I can point back to the week that has just passed and say: Read these!
And indeed, the LadyKillers this past week have such great things to say about high school--the good, the bad, and the ugly of it all--that I don't have much to add. Plus, it's Friday night, and what I really want to do is watch something on NetFlix.
So instead, I'm just going to take you all down Memory Lane (my Memory Lane, that is) and post what was going on the year I graduated from high school. Maybe some of this will resonate with you as well. And no, I'm not going to tell you the year. You have to guess! ;-)
I realize this list is very U.S.-centric, but then, so was I!
In addition to Ann Parker graduating from high school in the San Francisco Bay Area, the following happened in this particular year:
- Janis Joplin dies in a cheap motel from a heroin overdose.
- The first New York marathon is run in New York.
- Simon and Garfunkel release their final album together, Bridge Over Troubled Water.
- California becomes the first U.S. state to adopt "No Fault" divorce law.
- 100,000 people demonstrate in Washington, D.C., against the Vietnam War.
- The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA ) begins operation.
- The Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty goes into effect after ratification by 43 nations.
- First Earth Day celebrated.
- A gallon of gas cost 36 cents (on the average).
- IBM announces the successors to the IBM System/360 family the IBM System/370 with improved multi-processor support.
Popular films included...
- Hello, Dolly!
- On Her Majesty's Secret Service
This was one of the most popular songs of that year. I'll confess, I don't remember it much, although it is familiar.
Here was another "most popular" song for the year I graduated. Now this one resonates with me!
So... did you guess?? :-)